review by MEGAN BETZ
Picking a favorite ice cream shop is a bit like picking a favorite dog. Sure, I have a type I’m looking for, but when there are so many options, why limit myself? I enjoy every variety that comes my way! Many ice cream shops now offer soft serve and hand-dipped scoops, plus vegan and low-carb options. Here’s a tasting tour of locally owned Bloomington shops—an ice cream trail, if you will—to help you find your favorite scoop.
• Scoops (5440 S. Old State Road 37): With a kid’s scoop for under a dollar, Scoops offers you a bang for your buck. Flavors include that perennial Midwest favorite, Superman, but traditional flavors like butter pecan are on the menu, too. If you can’t swing by, you can always have a pint or quart delivered!
• Chocolate Moose (405 S. Walnut): With scooped and soft serve ice cream, frozen yogurt, Dole Whip, and vegan options, Bloomington’s iconic ice cream stand has something for everyone. Double-down on locally made goodness by sandwiching the scoop of your choice between two chocolate chips cookies from Baked!
• Bub’s Burgers and Ice Cream (480 N. Morton St.): Bub’s offers the classic American summer food combination: a straight-forward burger and shake. A separate ice cream counter makes it easy to stop in for just a scoop, too.
• Blu Boy Chocolate (112 E. Kirkwood): At Blu Boy, you’ll find a simple menu of ice cream flavors right in the heart of downtown. Grab a seasonal scoop like spring strawberry or subtle, classic honey ice cream to take with you on a walk around the Square.
• Hartzell’s (107 N. Dunn St.): It’s hard to pick among Hartzell’s variety of frozen styles, from hand-dipped and soft serve to frozen yogurt and Carbolite. Add in vegan options and everyone will find something to enjoy. For flavors that refresh in the summer heat, try a scoop of lemon poppy seed cake batter or chocolate basil.
• Jiffy Treet (223 S. Pete Ellis Drive): Grab a hand-dipped scoop or soft-serve swirl in a fresh waffle cone made in-house. I like mine trimmed with chocolate and sprinkles! Expand your tour by visiting the West (4727 W. Ind. 46, Ellettsville) and Bedford (142 16th St.) locations. Every menu is a bit different, so a trip to each Jiffy Treet is recommended!