Sugar Cream Pie
This recipe comes to us from Indiana Memorial Union Dining & Catering Services by Sodexo executive pastry chef, Ashley Baughman. A graduate of Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island, Baughman, 23, earned her bachelor’s degrees in baking and pastry arts just two years after completing high school. A Bloomington native, she says she’s pleased by the opportunity to return to her hometown and enjoy the food scene with a new perspective. For more on Baughman, see the October/November 2015 issue of Bloom.
4 cups flour
3 cups cold butter
1/4 tbs. salt
1 1/4 cups cold water
- Place flour, cold butter, and salt in a food processor.
- When butter pieces are pea size, slowly pour in the water.
- Mix just until combined.
- May need to add more water depending on the humidity and the dryness of the dough.
- Roll out the dough and line a pie tin with it.
Sugar Cream Filling
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
- In a saucepan bring milk, sugar, and salt to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and a splash of milk.
- Gradually whisk together the cornstarch mixture and milk mixture.
- Add butter and return to the heat.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thick (approximately 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add in vanilla.
- Pour into pie shell and sprinkle nutmeg on top.
- Bake at 375° for approximately 20 minutes.