In celebration of St. Patrick’s Day, the recipes in March are centered around the potato. Check back Friday March 23 for David Davenport’s Sweet Potato Latke recipe!
Bloomington Cooking School
3 pounds russet potato, peeled and sliced into dish
2 1/2 cups cream
6 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary, or more fresh, chopped
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces, can use up to 1/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter a glass or ceramic dish. Heat cream just to a boil in heavy sauce pan. Reduce heat to medium, and add gorgonzola, whisk until cheese melts.
3. Slice potatoes directly into dish. Try to slice as thin as possible. After a few layers, salt and pepper, slice some more, salt and pepper. Pour cheese/cream mixture over all, lifting layers a bit to spread around. Cover with foil and bake in oven for an hour or more until tender.
4. Preheat broiler. Mix breadcrumbs and rosemary in small bowl. Sprinkle over potatoes and dot with butter.
5. Broil until butter melts and mixture is golden brown, watching closely (it will burn), about 3-4 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.