To continue our May theme of the black bean, Jan Bulla-Baker gives us her Black Bean Soup recipe! Check back on Friday June 1 for a recipe centered around the zucchini!
Black Bean Soup
Bloomington Cooking School
2 15 oz cans black beans, drained
2 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper
fresh basil leaf
2 tablespoons sherry
1) Heat oil in small saucepan.
2) Add onions and sweat them while mincing garlic and dicing peppers. Be careful not to burn the onions.
4) Add black beans and broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6) If you want to thicken the soup, use an immersion blender. This will blend the chunks of vegetables (only if desired).
7) Heat to serving temperature and stir in sherry.
8) Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with sour cream, and serve.
Per serving: 588 calories; 6g fat (8.7% calories from fat); 33g protein; 103g carbohydrate; 24g dietary fiber; 1mg cholesterol; 554mg sodium