This recipe is a special Recipe of the Week! Jan loves this salad dressing, sometimes putting it over the colorful, homegrown salad shown in the garden feature. Check back on Friday July 6 for a recipe centered on blueberries.
Vinaigrette Dressing with Candied Walnuts
Bloomington Cooking School
4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 teaspoons basil, oregano, more if fresh
1 cup olive oil
1 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a medium bowl, combine mustard and vinegar using a fork or wire whisk. Add seasonings.
2) Continue beating while slowly pouring in oil. Adjust seasonings to taste.
3) May be refrigerated for later use. Whisk just before serving.
4) Body of salad: one part romaine, one part bibb, one part mixed greens
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water
large pinch salt
1 1/2 cups walnuts
1) Combine brown sugar, butter, water, and salt in a skillet. Bring to a boil while whisking.
2) Boil 1 minute. Add walnuts and stir.
3) Toss until syrup forms a glaze on the nuts, which will be about 3 minutes.
4) Transfer nuts to a sheet of aluminum foil, separating the nuts quickly, to let cool.
Per serving: 244 calories; 27g fat (98.3% calories from fat); trace protein; 1g carbohydrate; trace dietary fiber; 0mg cholesterol; 47mg sodium