In celebration of summer, the recipes in June are centered around zucchini. Check back on Friday June 15 for Jan Bulla-Baker’s Zucchini Pasta Sauce recipe!
David Davenport’s Zucchini Bread
Bloomington Cooking School
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups zucchini, shredded and wrung out in towel
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped to desired size
zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan. Place a piece of parchment paper along the bottom of the pan.
2) Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3) Add lemon zest and vanilla to the beaten eggs. Set aside.
4) Cream butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.
6) Add zucchini and mix thoroughly.
7) Add flour in two batches, then mix in chopped pecans.
8) Place batter in the prepared loaf pan and smack it on the counter to seat it well (to get rid of bubbles).
9) Bake for 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick. The bread is ready when the toothpick comes out clean, which usually takes about an hour.
Per serving: 255 calories; 15g fat (51.3% calories from fat); 4g protein; 28g carbohydrate; 2g dietary fiber; 56mg cholesterol; 330mg sodium