To continue our celebration of summer, the recipes in August are centered on tomatoes. Check back on Friday August 17 for Jan Bulla-Baker’s Slow-Roasted Tomato recipe!
Tomato Basil Pie
Bloomington Cooking School
1 9-inch pie crust
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
8 medium Roma tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup basil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 cup onions, minced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1) Place sliced tomatoes on bottom of unbaked pie crust.
2) Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. Add another layer of tomato and spread mayonnaise over that layer.
3) Cover with another layer of tomatoes. Add a layer of mozzarella and basil.
4) Combine garlic and onions in a small dish. This helps keep the garlic from sticking together and makes it easier to spread. Sprinkle on the garlic and onion mixture. Add pepper and last layer of tomatoes.
5) Top with parmesan. Bake in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until cheese is well browned and pie is bubbly.