Fall is here! And that means it’s time for persimmon goodies! This week, Jan Bulla-Baker gives us a recipe she says her family loves—Persimmon Pudding. Check back on October 19 for David Davenport’s Persimmon Cake recipe.
Bloomington Cooking School
2-3 cups persimmon pulp
1-2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup light cream (or half-and-half)
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2) Melt butter in a 13-by-9-inch baking pan. Swirl the butter to grease the pan.
3) Mix baking soda and buttermilk in a separate bowl and stir. The mixture will start to foam. Stir until the foaming stops.
4) Mix sugar and pulp in a large bowl. Add the baking soda and buttermilk mixture. Then add eggs, light cream, and vanilla.
5) Sift and stir in dry ingredients.
6) Pour excess butter from the pan into the pudding mixture and mix.
7) Pour batter into the baking pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until done in middle. Serve with whipped cream.