November brings family gatherings and time with friends for the holidays, but do you find yourself not knowing what to bring to a pitch-in? How about baking some quick and easy (and yummy!) cranberry scones? Check back on Friday November 16 for a cranberry bread recipe!
Bloomington Cooking School
4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons double-acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, chilled
1 egg yolk, save the white
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups fresh cranberries (or 1/2 cup Craisins)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 teaspoon water
1) Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in the chilled butter. Add the eggs and egg yolk.
2) Mix in cranberries, almonds, and chocolate chips with your hands. Gradually add the cream. However, do not overmix the dough; you want to see some of the flour (see photo). The mixture will still be crumbly.
3) Scoop equal portions and round with hands. Place on parchment baking paper or lightly greased baking sheet.
4) Mix egg white and water together, then brush the mixture on each of the scones.
5) Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Check after 10 minutes—smaller scones bake faster.
Makes 45 small scones.
Per serving: 250 calories; 13g fat (45.5% calories from fat); 4g protein; 30g carbohydrate; 1g dietary fiber; 61mg cholesterol; 264mg sodium