Wild Rice with Almonds, Dried Cherries, and Mushrooms
Chef Daniel Orr
1/4 c butter or bacon fat
1 T garlic, minced
1/4 c onion, minced
1 c crimini mushrooms, chopped
1 c wild rice
3 c chicken broth
1/2 c dried cherries
1/2 c scallions, chopped
1/2 c slivered almonds, toasted lightly brown
1) Preheat oven to 325°F.
2) Wash and drain wild rice, set aside.
3) Melt butter in large skillet and add garlic. Allow garlic to just start to brown and add onions and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms start to brown.
4) After about 20 minutes, add rice and toss to enrobe the rice in the mushroom mixture. Place rice mixture into ungreased 11/2 quart casserole dish.
5) Heat chicken broth to boiling and stir into rice mixture. Cover tightly. Bake about 1 hour or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender and fluffy.
6) Fold in cherries, scallions and top with almonds.