When Chef David Davenport was given a not-so-great pound cake recipe from Wüsthof, he set out to fix it. Davenport tore the entire recipe apart, building it back piece by piece. This is the pound cake he came up with!
Davenport’s Pound Cake
Chef David Davenport
Bloomington Cooking School
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3 sticks butter, room temperature
3 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
Baking mold, heavily greased and flowered
1) Cream butter and lemon zest to a light texture.
2) Beat in eggs one at a time. Then add lemon juice.
3) Mix flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
4) Mix milk and vanilla together in separate bowl.
5) Mix a third of the flour mixture and a third of the milk mixture into the butter and mix. Repeat until everything is combined.
6) Spoon batter into mold evenly. Bake at 350ºF for 45–55 minutes. Check with a toothpick; it’ll come out clean when done.