This month, try this recipe for ultra-sweet thumbprint cookies. The best part is you can personalize the filling to make any flavor you want!
Prepared by David Davenport
Bloomington Cooking School
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped (or almonds)
1 1/3 cups fruit jam (raspberry is nice)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
2. Separate eggs, reserving egg white.
3. Cream butter, sugar, and egg yolk.
4. Add vanilla, flour, and salt.
5. Shape dough into balls. Roll in egg white, then walnuts. Place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 5 minutes.
6. Remove cookies from oven. With thumb, dent each cookie. Put jam in each thumbprint. Bake for another 8 minutes.