Winter is time to bring out the comfort food, and what is more comforting than a warm, sweet apple crisp? Be sure to check back in February for more yummy recipes!
Bloomington Cooking School
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 sticks of cold salted butter
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1) Combine flour, sugar, and salt. Work butter into the mixture. The mixture will be floury.
2) Mix in walnuts and set aside.
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 lemon, juiced
Rum, to taste
Butter, to taste
1) Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
2) Mix apple slices, lemon juice, and rum in a separate bowl. Then fold in dry ingredients.
3) Place in baking dish. Dot with butter (see photo below), then cover with the topping mixture.
4) Bake at 375°F for about 25 to 30 minutes. Test apples with a knife to make sure they are fully cooked.