To continue our celebration of summer, the recipes in July are centered on blueberries. Check back on Friday July 20 for David Davenport’s Blueberry Buckle recipe!
Bloomington Cooking School
Crème Fraîche (make 24 hours before serving):
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup unpasteurized buttermilk
3 tablespoons sour cream
1) In a large bowl, use a whisk to combine the heavy whipping cream, buttermilk, and sour cream.
2) Cover lightly with foil and leave on the countertop overnight to ferment.
3) The next day, place in the refrigerator to chill.
Blueberry Base (make day of serving):
2 pounds blueberries, remove all stems
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
1) In a small pan, combine sugar and water. Stir over heat until sugar is completely absorbed (do not boil). Set the simple syrup aside to cool. Once cool, add the vanilla extract.
2) Place berries into food processor (or blender) and add the cooled simple syrup. Process (or blend) to a smooth consistency.
3) Empty the mixture into a bowl and let it settle for a few minutes.
Spoon blueberry base into small cups. Add a dollop of crème fraîche. The two can be eaten as is or mixed together in the cup as desired.