Hungry for more comfort food? David Davenport, from the Bloomington Cooking School, has already shown us how to make Apple Crisp and Macaroni and Cheese Cake. This week, we move to the main dish with his Gluten-Free Fried Chicken recipe.
Gluten-Free Fried Chicken
Bloomington Cooking School
8 pieces chicken, boned and skinned
1/2 cup cream
1 cup cornstarch
Salt and pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
1) Soak the chicken in buttermilk for 3 hours in the fridge. This step is optional, but it works as a tenderizing agent.
2) Pour 1 inch of oil in each of two skillets. Heat one skillet until the oil begins to bubble slightly. Heat the other skillet only until the oil glistens but not bubbling (see photo). The dark meat chicken will cook in the hotter, bubbling oil, while the white meat chicken will cook in the cooler, glistening oil.
3) Mix eggs and cream thoroughly in a small bowl.
4) Mix cornstarch, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in another small bowl.
5) Dip chicken pieces in the cornstarch mixture, then in the egg mixture, then back to the cornstarch mixture.
6) Place chicken in the oil. Fry until the outer coating turns brown and the internal temperature is 160°F.