Winter is time to bring out the comfort food. David Davenport, from the Bloomington Cooking School, has already shown us how to make Apple Crisp. This week, we move away from the desserts with David’s Macaroni and Cheese Cake. Be sure to check back on February 22 when we try another comfort food: David’s Gluten-Free Fried Chicken.
Macaroni and Cheese Cake
Bloomington Cooking School
1 pound thin elbow macaroni
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 cups heavy cream, or to taste
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 stick butter
4 tablespoons flour
Salt, to taste
1) Cook macaroni according to package. Drain and set aside to cool until it is room temperature.
2) Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook onion and garlic until the onion starts to turn clear (about 5 minutes).
3) Stir flour into the butter mixture. Then slowly mix in cream with a whisk. Allow the mixture to thicken.
4) Fold in cheddar cheese and mix until melted. Set aside to cool.
5) Prepare a bundt pan with cooking spray and flour (do this even if the pan is nonstick).
6) Whip eggs in a small bowl. Add salt and stir.
7) Stir eggs into cooled cheese mixture (make sure the mixture is cool enough to not cook the eggs). Fold in macaroni.
8) Spoon the mixture into the bundt pan. Bake at 350°F until the top is firm to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean (about 45 minutes).
9) Remove immediately from pan and serve.