A few weeks ago, David Davenport shared his steamed cauliflower recipe. This week, he continues with the veggie theme by sharing his vegetable-filled breakfast quiche.
Quiche with Vegetables
Bloomington Cooking School
9-inch pie crust
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3 large eggs
Several scrapings of a whole nutmeg
White pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt
10-ounce bag frozen stir-fry blend of vegetables
3 1/2 ounces grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Parmesan cheese, to taste
1) Place pie crust in a pie tin, and prick the bottom and around the side of the pie crust with a fork.
2) Bake at 350ºF until a brown tinge begins to appear on the surface. This should take less than 10 minutes. Set aside.
3) Mix mustard and a small amount of the whipping cream in a small dish. Mix thoroughly.
4) In a separate container, whisk the eggs. Add the mustard mixture to the egg.
5) Add the rest of the whipping cream, nutmeg, salt, and white pepper and whisk.
6) Set the pie tin on a half-sheet pan.
7) Place cheddar cheese evenly on the base of the pie crust. Spread drained vegetables evenly over the cheese.
8) Pour the cream mixture over the vegetables and cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of the quiche.
9) Bake at 350ºF for 35-45 minutes. Check quiche with a knife; it is done when the knife comes out clean.