Backyard-Picnic Potato Salad
Bloomington Cooking School
2 pounds potatoes (purple potatoes recommended)
8 large eggs
1 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2-3 tablespoons parsley flakes
1 2/3 cup mayonnaise (not low fat)
Pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
Prepare the day before.
1) Boil the potatoes until they can be easily cut with a knife. Cool to room temperature, then remove the skins. Dice the potatoes, then put them in the refrigerator.
2) Bring eggs to a boil and let them boil for 30 seconds. Then shut off the heat, seal the pan with a ceramic plate, and let it sit for 14 minutes. Empty the hot water and replace with cold. (If you use extremely fresh eggs, the skin will not peel, so be sure they are at least a week old.)
3) When the eggs have cooled to room temperature, remove the shell. Then put them in the refrigerator to chill.
4) Once the eggs have chilled, cut them in half, placing the yolks in a separate bowl. Then dice the egg whites.
5) Mix egg whites, potatoes, onions, and celery in a mixing bowl.
6) In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks, mustard, garlic, parsley, pepper, and mayonnaise with an electric mixer. Then taste test and mix in desired amount of salt.
7) Thoroughly combine the egg-white mixture and the egg-yolk mixture. If desired, add more mayonnaise. Then cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight.