Category: Community

Bloomington Rotary Celebrates Centennial

As Bloomington and Monroe County mark their bicentennial year, Bloomington Rotary Club is marking a significant anniversary of its own—100 years as a local service organization. To celebrate, it will hold a Centennial Gala May 10, where it hopes to raise $100,000 for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Bloomington, enabling the nonprofit organization to build an outdoor recreation area for its Crestmont Unit.

Read More

Tree Project Puts Down Roots for B-town’s Next 200 Years

In 1984, Bloomington was the first city in Indiana to receive the Tree City USA designation given by the Arbor Day Foundation, an honor awarded to communities meeting certain standards of urban forestry management. This year, as part of its bicentennial celebration, the City will plant 200 trees in parks, public spaces, and on school grounds. Residents also had a chance to order trees to plant on private property.

Read More

City and IU to Launch Bike-Share Program

In 2014, the League of American Bicyclists named the City of Bloomington a gold-level Bicycle Friendly Community. Now, a joint bike-share project between the City of Bloomington and Indiana University, scheduled to launch in March or April, will make Bloomington even more bicycle-friendly.

Read More

Bloom’s Greatest Hits: Women Who Helped Shape Our Town

From February/March 2015: When Mary Alice Dunlap was appointed by the Bloomington City Council as the city’s first woman mayor in 1962 after the resignation of fellow Democrat Tom Lemon, it provided a cause for celebration. The former city clerk/treasurer was just the second woman ever to serve as the mayor of an Indiana city, but the breakthrough was short-lived.

Read More

A Harrowing Night Saved By the Good People of Bloomington

When I left work at 5:58 p.m. on September 22, my main thought was that it was nice to be on my way home at a rational time on a Friday evening. My wife, Judith, and I headed to the post office to throw a package into the bin and started discussing a friend’s recent brain surgery. We didn’t make it home.

Read More

Nia—A Workout That Put a Smile on My Face

Sometimes you have to try something to understand it. That’s how it is with Nia. I first heard about it from my friend Erica De Santis a few years ago. She said her wife, Jane Fleig, goes three times a week, and no matter how she feels before class, when Jane comes home, she is always smiling. Okay, I was curious. But what is Nia? 

Read More

What Did You Do Last Summer? IU Athletes Taught Kids in Vietnam

With so much time devoted to training and playing their sport, student-athletes are seldom able to participate in typical college programs—things like service or the chance to study abroad. In an effort to change that, the national Coach for College program provides student-athletes the opportunity to visit underserved areas of rural Vietnam and give academic, athletic, and life-skills support to the region’s middle-school children.

Read More

Housing First Approach Increases Number of Shelter Residents in Permanent Homes

In 2015, Martha’s House, the region’s only nonreligious emergency shelter for adults, was facing financial problems serious enough to threaten its survival. In January 2016, Shalom Community Center took over the shelter’s management and renamed it Friend’s Place. Since then, Shalom has implemented a new Housing First approach that has significantly increased the number of shelter residents who find permanent housing.

Read More
Bloomington, Indiana
86°
clear sky
humidity: 51%
wind: 8mph SW
H 75 • L 75
77°
Mon
81°
Tue
85°