Monroe Lake’s Earth Science Week highlights local geology, Oct. 10-16
Monroe Lake will offer daily programming on local geology from Sunday, October 10 through Saturday, October 16 during annual Earth Science Week.
The program schedule includes activities that require advance registration (with limited space available) and others that are open to everyone without registration, plus two virtual programs that will air via Facebook Live.
Detailed program descriptions, registration links (for programs requiring advance signup), and viewing links (for the virtual programs) are at bit.ly/earthscience2021.
• Oct. 10, Geology Story Beads from 2 to 3:30 p.m., Paynetown SRA, no registration required
• Oct. 11, Facebook LIVE: Rocks Tell a Story, The Geology of Monroe Lake at 8:00 p.m., virtual program
• Oct. 12, Crinoid Fossil Bed Hike at 10:00 a.m., Allens Creek SRA, free but limited to 20 people, advance signup required
• Oct. 13, Facebook LIVE: Monroe County Geology “Hot Spots” at 10:00 a.m., virtual program
• Oct. 14, Monroe Lake Geology Driving Tour at 8:00 a.m., $20 per person and limited to 20 people, advance signup required
• Oct. 15, Digging for Fossils from 10 to 11:30 a.m., Paynetown SRA, no registration required
• Oct. 15, The Fossilization Game from 5:30 to 7 p.m., Paynetown SRA, no registration required
• Oct. 16, Hoosier Gems from 10 to 11:30 a.m., Paynetown SRA, no registration required
• Oct. 16, Plaster Cast Fossils from 2 to 3:30 p.m., Paynetown SRA, no registration required
• Oct. 16, Rock Pendants from 5:30 to 7 p.m., Campground Playground at Paynetown SRA, no registration required
For programs at Paynetown State Recreation Area, the Daily Entrance Fee of $7 per vehicle with Indiana license plate ($9 per vehicle with out-of-state license plate) does apply. Indiana State Park Annual Entrance Permits are also accepted.
Questions about Earth Science Week programming should be directed to Jill Vance, Monroe Lake’s Interpretive Naturalist, at [email protected] or 812-837-9967.